Friday, September 16, 2011

Everyone Stopped

Last night, I walked to the subway from spin class, thinking about all I had to do when I got home. I thought of all the people who might be calling on the dead cell phone I had forgotten to charge. My empty refrigerator which would not be so helpful for dinner. So many unanswered e-mails. A manuscript in shambles waiting for me to tend to it.

As I stopped at the corner of 14th street and 6th Avenue, eyes focused on the walk signal, all I could think was that the stoplight could not change fast enough, that there just wasn't enough time in the day to do all the things I needed to do.

But then I noticed all of these phones lifted up all around me. What was it that everyone had stopped to photograph? I looked to the moving traffic beside me, the deli across the street, the crowded sidewalk behind.

And then I looked up.

A purple sky. And all the once-silver buildings reflected gold.

Of course, there was no way for me capture it. No way for me to hold on. And I thought it was all the more beautiful for that.

8 comments:

  1. You're right. It was all the more beautiful because you had to stop and live it to enjoy it, rather than take a picture.

    But it cheers me to know that even New Yorkers on a busy street corner will stop in their tracks to admire a beautiful sunset.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good reminder to stop and notice the bigger picture. Not to get caught in the daily routine, you just may miss something beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can picture this, and feel like I lived this moment with you!

    And, I agree. Moments like those are best savored right then and there, living in the magic of the moment, looking at that beauty with your own two eyes, and pocketing that memory in your mind's eye and reliving/re-experiencing that moment whenever you need to refresh your spirit.

    So awesome and beautiful...thank you for sharing your moment with us all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes things look beautiful when we least expect it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have the picture in your mind, that's the one that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's incredible. Would have loved to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You couldn't capture it, but it will live inside your heart forever more, my friend. I am sorry to have missed it. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm pathetic with a camera...I can never snap enough pictures. My husband is always trying to take it away from me, so I'll focus on the moment rather than snapping a picture of the moment.

    It sounds like you had a moment that made you remember to stop and breath.

    ReplyDelete