Monday, April 25, 2011

U is for University


More specifically, Cornell University, which is where I got my undergraduate degree. I always think that Cornell is where I found my voice. Not just a voice in my writing, but an actual voice as well. Up until that point I had been a little frightened to speak up and be the person I wanted to be. But, in my time there, it seemed I was not afraid to say or do anything.

When I think of the things I did, I surprise myself with the memory. I think of the classes I spoke in front of, the singing auditions I attempted, the actors that gave voice to my short plays in theatre classes, the stories I read out loud in workshops. And of course, I remember my closest friends, who are the friends I always imagined having. The bars we frequented, the plantations we wandered through, the midnight swims in the steep gorges, the drives to the secret swimming hole where I sat underneath waterfalls in the pouring rain.

It's been nearly ten years since I graduated, but I remember that being a time of true freedom. A time to explore and become.

I always think of this bench which sits on top of the slope and overlooks the lake. The quote carved into it encompasses everything I felt during my time there. It was a time of extreme emotions. The first time I felt a part of something larger and more real than anything I had experienced before it. It might also explain why I never felt afraid.

To those who shall sit here rejoicing

To those who shall sit here mourning

Sympathy and greeting

So have we done in our time

1892


Photo Credit: vonhohenstaufen

4 comments:

  1. What a perfect place to have come into your own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What memories, and what personal victories you experienced. The bench says it all. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your wonderful University memories! Love the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you had a special place on campus. My husband proposed to me out by the old pavillion in college. Sadly they knocked it down. :(

    ReplyDelete