Tuesday, May 18, 2010

BEA

I decided at the last minute to attend Book Expo America this year. I have heard it is not necessarily a great conference for aspiring writers. But I remember sitting in my cubicle last year thinking that there were all kinds of wonderful books and all the people who love and write them mere minutes away. I also figured if babs is going, then so should I.

To my delight, I discovered that there are literary agencies who brave the scene. And one or two of these are agencies I had already planned on querying. I also discovered that there will be some authors there who I would very much like to meet. And, last year, I had the great pleasure of meeting a lot of book bloggers who will be attending again this year.

I must tell you, conferences freak me out. I'd much prefer to meet all of you at my favorite Italian restaurant over a bottle of wine, instead of under the harsh lights of the Javits Center as I desperately try and think of something to say and fail. But I'm going to brave this thing. In the name of books.

So, are you going? If so, I'd love to meet you. Please e-mail me at thistooblog (at) gmail (dot) com. I also live in New York City so feel free to ask me any questions about the area if you feel so inclined.

3 comments:

  1. So jealous. You're going to be surrounded by fabulous books and writers. Can't wait to hear about it. Have fun!

    I'm putting my conference money into an SCBWI writer's retreat this year (smaller, less scary). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i second lori...sooo jealous! i went to nyc for the first time on my honeymoon two years ago. that piggy bank is getting fatter with our return fares...i can't wait to get back.

    as for the conference, i'm finally moving forward with my writing and i want to hear EVERYTHING. okay, i really just want to know if you get to meet babs...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll do my best to update you guys- I have no idea what to expect! :-)

    Jodie: I am not sure I'll get tickets to see Babs but hopefully I'll bump into her. hehe. Hope you make it to NYC again soon. It's a lovely place.

    ReplyDelete