Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Will You Hold On To This For Me?

These past few weeks, I've been thinking a lot about what this blog is. When people ask me what my blog is about, I tell them it's about my 'writing journey', whatever that means. It seems to quiet people, so I leave it be.

I don't think it's that.

In truth, I don't know what it is. I do know that this virtual space is mine. That I go to it, to write. And that's about all I know.

When I was a teenager, I wanted to draw a picture of how I was feeling because the image was so strong, so real. I couldn't draw it the way I wanted to. I still can't. But the image has stayed with me.

I wanted to draw a picture of two people. One person with a head flipped open, like the lid of a can. And the other holding their hands out.

It was not just about sharing thoughts. It was as if to say: Please. Take this. Keep this for me.

In some ways, I think this blog is an extension of that feeling. I need others to keep these stories and thoughts for me.

So, thank you. :-) Thank you for holding on to all this, whatever this is. I hope to do the same for you, if you need it.

6 comments:

  1. Great post! Like you, I think that blogging is a way of safeguarding my thoughts. I find blogging the easiest, and safest, way for me to express myself. It also gives me the chance to 'meet' like minded people, that I may not have found in the real world, due to being shy and lacking in confidence.

    I love reading your blog, and thanks for letting us holding on to your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wondering what my blog "is" also - seems like so many have a set theme and I get sucked up in that, and thinking who my audience is, blah blah blah. But the image of the brain-can flipped open is PERFECT. You should draw it and make a "community" for people who blog about anything and everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Melissa. I love that image of giving something creative, out of our very soul.

    Sometimes I have no idea what my blog is. But I like that it's just an outlet. We all need it. And everyone's is so different from one another, according to our needs and our personalities and muses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post perfectly describes the wish and the need to blog - to be oneself and to share with others. Fo me, it is natural to blog and to write.

    I identified with the 'quieting' response to your answer when others ask!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woman! So beautifully said. I too wonder what what my space is all about. I love the picture you wanted to draw. It's in my head now. Thanks. I see it vividly.

    You rock, girlfriend. Thanks for supporting my blog. I always look forward to your visits. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's almost like a journal, isn't it?

    Happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete