Sunday, November 25, 2012

An Amazing Discovery: Steinway Hall

Today (which, as I write this post, turns into yesterday) I discovered what I now think is one of the most beautiful places in New York City: Steinway Hall, the flagship store of the legendary Steinway & Sons.  

I walked the showrooms in awe. Sheet music lined the overstuffed shelves. Music escaped from the practice rooms. The place is all marble and gold, grand and impossible.  So much black and white gleam, your own image reflects in the propped-up lid and a set of four hands runs across the keys. 

It reminded me how beautiful and regal the instrument can be. The kind of epic stories it can tell.  I will walk this place when I want to feel joy. 

I miss playing the piano.





Also...I apologize if this blog is turning into a strange photography romp through New York City.   I'm going through a bit of a rough patch in this space and I hope to find some kind of focus soon.  Until then.  Well.  I don't know.

6 comments:

  1. I like your photos - it lets me see all the cool things your city has to inspire you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking about/missing playing the piano so much lately, so it was kind of funny to come here and see this beauty!

    I think your blog is perfect as it is. There are ebbs and flows in life and writing and sharing, and this feels natural to me as a reader - it's like glimpses into your life, and that's just as good as having a long, detailed post that is insight into your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your photos too! Beautiful instruments...I will have to visit it someday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes another reason for me to visit NYC someday. I love your blog and I am oficially your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! My parents own a Steinway...it's too huge for me to sneak out their backdoor and into my house...I so enjoy playing it when I'm visiting them! Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete