Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Being In Summer

I saw this woman at the beach on Sunday and I understood. Sometimes you can not put a book down. Sometimes you want to be in too many places at once.

This summer has been so busy and, until Sunday, I had not been able to get to the beach. So I found, in between endless appointments and projects and obligations, one hour this weekend. I forced myself out of bed much earlier than usual (I am not a morning person) and went out to this beach on Long Island, just a twenty minute drive from my parents house, where I was staying for the weekend. I wanted to sit in the sun and read for hours. I wanted to be in the water for as long as I could.

But I only had one hour.

It was enough to remind me of the silence I do not get to hear. How refreshing cool waters can be when I am not racing across hot pavement to my next destination. I remembered summer in a way I hadn't in a while: as a time to sit. And be.

Are you finding time this summer to really be in summer?

10 comments:

  1. Good questions raised--and I have to say I have found time to be IN summer. The photo was ideal--reminds me of people walking somewhere with their faces buried while they text.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore the beach, you are lucky to be close enough to spend some time with the ocean. I don't think I've really been in summer this year. There's been too much going on, and it has been distracting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had about 4 days in Switzerland like that. SO nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I've had days by the water. It's been wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Summer hasn't really arrived for me yet and we're nearly in August! When we first moved to Spain, summer lasted for a long time and now, I'm finding that it's hard to get started. Perhaps because there has been a lot going on.

    I have been to beach once so far and even though trips there are few and far between, I still enjoy the time spent there. The rare occasion I get to see the sea, makes the experience more enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've really enjoyed my summer so far. I've spent a lot of time reading/writing/revising and hanging out with my 15 yo. I love quiet time...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes. I am enjoying this summer as there is sufficient coolness to feel the breezes and to relax in the atmosphere.

    Love the photo! I have just finished a book that I did not want to put down.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how I envy you your visit to the beach. I'm from the coast and moved inland 9 years ago and not a day goes by that I don't miss it.

    Thanks for coming by my blog and commenting. I'm a new folloewer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shhh, I hate to say it but I'm not just being with summer..I'm complaining with everyone else way too much. I should just stay inside and read and see it as a good thing instead.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My ahhh got spell corrected to shh... FYI.

    ReplyDelete