Saturday, May 14, 2011

Draft One?

Every day, I sit and write 1,000 words of my novel (it should be noted that some days are more productive than others) and when I'm done, I e-mail the document to myself, with the subject line: Rabbit Island Draft One.

Every day it grows. Slowly. But it grows.

Rabbit Island Draft One, I type, attach, and press send. And there it is in my inbox.

Tonight I typed, attached, pressed send, and just looked at it. I wanted to cry.

Rabbit Island Draft One.

WILL IT EVER BE FINISHED? WILL IT EVER BE DRAFT TWO? I wanted to shout.

Nope.

Rabbit Island Draft One.

But, little by little, it grows...

7 comments:

  1. You are doing great! Think how far you have progressed in just a few months! And hey, maybe that's just what you need to do. Look at the version from March 12. See how much you've accomplished since then. Now go love those characters. Live inside their lives and wants and fears and before you know it, your draft will be done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine is moving in fits and starts...you're doing great if you can take the same sized step every day...I'd take that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ask myself the same question a lot too. Although I'm not as disciplined as you are, I should write 1,000 words a day, but it doesn't always end up that way. Then I find myself feeling frustrated that my book isn't finished!

    Whilst I'm partly to blame for my book not getting finished sooner, I think as a writer you need to see you writing as something that grows over time, rather than focus solely on the finished product.

    Well done for getting as far as you have!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I go through phases of writing every day, then taking a week off - not on purpose! I finished draft one of a short story but now I'm putting off draft two, because I'm SO clueless about what to do with it... But hey, progress is progress! I would say Step-by-Step, but then the theme song will be stuck in my head for weeks. Whoops...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's growing. Keep going!
    It will be finished. One day ;)
    And we're all with you
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Writing is not for the impatient. Little by little is sometimes the best we can do. But it is a slow, organic process. Keep at it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cry tears of joy. You're writing and you love it. Besides, who cares what it's called now. When it's all done, you may change the title. If not, you'll get to put "final draft" or "finished draft" after the title. ;-)

    ReplyDelete