Monday, July 12, 2010

I'm Looking For A Critique Partner

Much to my dismay, my writing group dismantled last year. While I was fortunate enough to have a few of the old members read drafts of my completed manuscript for feedback, it seems we can't all get it together to make it a regular thing.

So, I find myself in search of a critique partner. My search begins here. I'm asking all of you lovely people to help me out. Let me know if you are interested or if you know someone who may be interested. Tweet it, blog it, whatever you like.

Here's a little bit of what I write and what I'm looking for:

I write women's fiction. I read everything, but this is what I read obsessively: women's fiction, literary fiction, and contemporary young adult literature. I'm afraid you won't find me very helpful if you write genre fiction or middle grade, but I do spend 40 hours a week writing for pre-schoolers so, yeah, there's that. I am very focused on writing for and about women and or teenage girls. It's just the kind of character and audience I know and understand best.

I would love to work with someone who writes literary or contemporary fiction, either adult or young adult. We can work online, skyping, e-mailing, morse code, whatever works best.

I'm open to working with a small group. Probably no more than 3 or 4, just to be positive that we can devote the attention to one another's work.

I hope this isn't overload of information but I just wanted to get it out there. So, please, please, please, will you be my writer friend? (Well, most of you are already my writer friends, but let's take this relationship to the next level) Or will you pass it along to your writer friends? Thank you!

Comment here or e-mail me at thistooblog (at) gmail (dot) com

4 comments:

  1. So sorry about your crit. group. I'm going to pass this on to the writers in my groups. When you get to the beta stage, I love to do that for people and find it really helpful to have people outside my reg. crit. group give a MS a cold read. I'll send you some more ideas via gmail, too. I am certain many will jump at this chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa--I'm not much help...I write for younger kids and mid grade. I have a ya I'm roughing out, but I think you want someone more experienced than me. Best wishes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's hard to find a good group, huh? well, i hope you have great luck with that.

    what is that you do-- writing for preschoolers 40 hours a week? are you also a childrens author or what?

    i'm horrible with critique- i bet you find some good people! let us know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do contemp YA. Would love to talk more if you are still looking. Email me at angelhett@gmail.com if so!

    ReplyDelete