Thursday, December 31, 2009

Happy New Year!

I don't usually reflect upon years past. I am a very impatient person, always have been, and I much prefer to think of what lies ahead. I much prefer to think about what I need to do rather than what I've done.

But this year is a little different. This year, I accomplished something I've been meaning to do my entire life: write a novel. I'm really proud of it- even as it soaks in its own filth right now and I attempt to clean and polish what I can. I learned a lot about myself as a writer. Now I know that when I sit down to write something, no matter how many distractions there are in life, I can do it. And now that I've done it once, I can do it again. And I will.

But I'm not going to sit in the past for much longer. There is an edit to complete. A new novel to start. The search begins for an agent, for an editor, for a publisher. And if I send my novel out into the ether and it never finds a home (a distinct possibility that scares me every day) I will find a way to self-publish it, or podcast an audio book, or whatever I can do to use the technology I'm learning more about every day to make things happen for myself.

Thanks to all my family and friends for supporting me on this writing journey. And to all the people I don't quite know who read this blog. I hope you don't lurk too much so we can support and encourage one another to accomplish all of our goals (writing goals or otherwise).

Always looking forward...

M.

1 comment:

  1. Melissa--Congratulations on finishing your first novel...now the real work begins (LOL). Edit, revise, edit, revise and polish...research agents and publishing houses...and be patient...I think that may be one of the hardest parts...the waiting.

    Best wishes in 2010!

    ReplyDelete