Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Morning After

I am happy to announce that the sex scene went well!
I was kind of worried about it, because I'd never written one before and my reading experience of the deed is limited to some very dramatic Russian novels and lighthearted chick lit. I also realized that I read a lot of novels about women who are either repulsed or frightened by the act (must have something to do with my affinity for reading books about arranged marriages.) And no matter how hard I tried, I simply couldn't remember any standout sex scenes in books. I vaguely recalled a lot of misogynistic accounts from the male point of view. And a series of endless, promiscuous sex scenes in John Updike's Couples.

I thought there was a high risk that this scene could become kitschy or melodramatic very quickly.

I am here to announce that I did not use the words rip, bodice, or breast. But I did use the words succumb, fumbled, and caress.

I am not sure where all of this leaves me: kitsch, tawdry, or not. But I do now have a sex scene in my book. It moved plot forward dramatically and it's left a lot of juicy conflict and tension for the coming scenes. I guess, as in life, the sexual act has a lot of consequences.

Now that that's out of the way, I can move on. But I'll always remember my first.

My God, the double entendres in this account are absolutely ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment