Wednesday, June 3, 2009

One line


I enjoy the blog Page 56, Line 5 because it gives me ideas for books to read. And it does it in a very short period of time. In this world of short attention spans trying to weave through endless amounts of information- it works quite well for me.

The latest post was quite simple:

“My mother called me over to a window, and we peeked in.”~~ The Floating World by Cynthia Kadohata
A coming-of-age story set in a moving world.


I knew immediately that I wanted to read this book.

So I asked myself, what about that one line made it so powerful?
There is a mother which means there is a child. And a window worth peeking through. The hint of curiousity. And the title! Oh, the title! Telling me that there's an entire world which had found itself floating.
I didn't even need the short recap afterwards.

Honestly, I couldn't imagine a better book review. And I'm thrilled at the power of one written line.

No comments:

Post a Comment