Saturday, January 17, 2009

Music and Mulder

I spent a majority of my day uploading to my ITunes library and watching the 1st season of The X-Files. And I don't feel guilty about it for 3 reasons:
1. It feels like -20 degrees out there

2. I ran 3 miles at the gym this morning

3. I finished 15 more pages of my novel yesterday

So I spent it indoors wearing old jeans and an over-sized Cornell sweatshirt as I drank Wild Cherry Seltzer (my new obsession) and pulled my snack table really close to my couch in order to eat one of my favorite meals: rice and beans. Breezing through X-Files episodes was a real treat since I haven't seen the show since around 1999. And, let me just say, Fox Mulder is as perfectly wonderful as I remembered.

But I digress... In my Itunes uploading frenzy (I am rebuilding my entire library after a hard drive crash) I came across some old music. And I became really nostalgic. I found some old CD mixes that people had made for me. Even old mixes I had made myself. And a boat load of other music I hadn't heard in years. It's amazing how many memories a song can bring. (Please excuse the cheese.)

In my nostalgia, I wanted to share a lyric from a particular Dar Williams song that I stumbled upon. It truly touched me, as it had when I first heard it over 7 years ago. The song is 'After All'.

Well, the sun rose.
With so many colors it nearly broke my heart
It worked me over like a work of art
And I was a part of all that

Not only is it a beautifully crafted lyric, but it has always put things in perspective for me. And maybe it will for you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment