Sunday, September 23, 2012

The Best Friends, The Best Books, and Libba Bray!


After a night spent with two of my favorite friends and beautiful Batman baby (see below) in Stamford, CT, I ended up having a terrible commute home. I narrowly missed two express trains, construction forced me to switch subway lines twice, and after all that, the F train decided not to stop at my stop so I was forced on to a shuttle bus. It took me an additional hour and a half to get home.

The reason I tell you all this is that I was frustrated but happily distracted.  I was completely absorbed in a book I have fallen in love with: Jeanette Winterson's Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal and all this delay allowed me to finish it in its entirety (more on this book soon.)

I woke up knowing I would see two other favorite friends who were in town from Boston for a quick breakfast. Not wanting to risk public transportation, I biked over the amazing Brooklyn bridge on a day that could only be called amazing too.  

In the afternoon, at the Brooklyn Book Festival, more friends, more books.  I met a writer I admire very much, the famously funny, insanely smart and talented Libba Bray.  Fangirl that I was, I stumbled over words and babbled endlessly about being called Michelle and the spelling of my name (and, really, you guys, there is absolutely nothing interesting about the spelling of my name) but Libba did not seem to mind.  She signed my copy of The Diviners. She told me someone once called her Library.  See, that's interesting.  

Sadly, I don't get to see my faraway friends from Stamford and Boston all that often. So I treasure time spent with them and time spent with books.  And Libba Bray!

How was your weekend?

Batman Baby
Brooklyn Bridge
Me, happy

7 comments:

  1. Okay, so you know I'm gonna get that book, right? So glad you had a good weekend. Mine wasn't quite as exciting, but it was pleasant. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, that sounds like such an amazing few days! And nothing better to distract you from a horrible commute than a great book. :) I love your story about babbling on, I do that too when I'm nervous/excited.
    P.S. Your blog looks great, by the way.
    Catherine Denton

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad something positive came from your terrible commute. That's why I'm soooo glad to work from home - traffic/congestion, ugh! Love that pic of the Brooklyn Bridge - it looks like such a beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I must read that book! Glad you had a good weekend even if the commute home was yuck. I wonder where I was in NY when you were in NY...going to post pics you will probably recognize :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Libba Bray. Library. There are worse things to be called :) And LOVE the baby. I could eat him up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great adventures you have! So cool you got to meet Libba Bray. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE Libba Bray! I met her at the New York Teen Book Con once, and she was so funny and kind (I definitely babbled, too).

    ReplyDelete