Wednesday, February 16, 2011

135th Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show


On Tuesday, I went to the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show. This is an annual tradition for me and Tyler. It began 3 years ago, when the ever charismatic Uno became the first beagle to win best in show. He howled and crooned, wagging his little tail as if to say, "Look at me! Look at me!" And we watched as he enjoyed his Peter Luger steak the following morning on The Today Show. We marvelled that a 20 pound beagle had beat two foodies like us to the famous steakhouse.

The following year, it was Stump that won our hearts. At ten years old, ready for retirement, he took one last chance at greatness and aren't we all glad he did? He became the oldest dog ever to win the prize. We cheered and cheered as he waddled up and down the arena, his little legs trying to keep up with his handler, his long brown coat, skirting the floor like a shimmering mop.

I don't know what it is about this spectacle but I take great pleasure in watching these creatures prance around as if they own the place. They are most certainly too cool for school. And I love them for it, as they stand around, getting poked and prodded by the groomer, looking utterly bored with the whole ordeal.

We found them in the benching area late last night, behind the scenes, long after the curtain closed. Well, we can't all be winners. But it must have been a long, hard day of looking pretty.








At least Misty had personalized M&M's for the humans to perk up a little. Thank you, Misty.

8 comments:

  1. Ha! Oh I love those white ones! Sooo pretty. They look like they would feel really nice too! LOVE that big splayed out pup too! Awesome pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm super jealous of those dog - I want to be pampered like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post. My daughter uses 'too cool for school' - a wonderful expression.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful post, Melissa! I love the photos! I love that you and Tyler go to the Dog Show together each year. What a lovely tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cool that you actually got to go! I’ve only ever watched the show on TV.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, this is so amazing. The photos were great. thanks for leading me to this site.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was great to find this blog site. Great comments. Puppy school Auckland

    ReplyDelete